Friday, March 22, 2013

Computer Crashes + Data Backups

In our digital world, everything nowadays is being stored on computers. From pictures to music to videos. Everything. One of the worst feelings in the world for me was the day my computer crashed last year. I tried everything I could think of to bring it back up, but it was a no go. I lost hundreds of pictures of the little monster when she was born. Thankfully, I had uploaded most of them to Facebook, so I was able to re-save them, but I still lost the original, untouched copies (because who doesn't touch up their photos?).

Ever since that crash, I've been making sure to back up my pictures and anything important (patterns, documents, etc) on either and external hard drive or even in my email. I've been thinking about getting a larger external hard drive or other storage device that I can just plug in and copy stuff over to. I have 2 right now, but I'd rather have 1 bigger one. Maybe not something quite as big as Backblaze Storage, but that is pretty cool. I think if I ever start doing graphic design more seriously I may have to look into that kind of storage pod to keep my work on. I think I need to upgrade my way outdated desktop computer before getting a new storage device though.

What do you guys use to back up your data? Flash drives? External Hard drives? A good old floppy disk? Oh, the days of floppy disks. I had hundreds of those guys. haha.

No comments: