Friday, December 7, 2012

3 Minute Rudolph Ornaments

One of my favorites things about this time of year is all the crafting potential. When I was a little girl, we used to make Christmas ornaments for our entire family and would attach them to loaves of banana nut bread. I remember one year in particular, my mother made us going out in the freezing cold weather to pick thistle so we could make teddy bear ornaments out of them. In case you don't know, dried thistle is very prickly. I'd compare it to porcupine's "fur" when it's standing on edge. Yeah, we didn't have gloves that were right for that task. I think we were pulling needles out of our hands for the next month.

While I won't be forcing M to pick thistle with me and we won't be making hundreds of ornaments every year, I would like to make it a tradition to make at least 1 different ornament each year.

Our first ornament this year were Rudolphs! For a 3 year old, I feel like this project was perfect.


For this project, you'll need:
  • 3 popsicle sticks
  • 1 red button or pom pom
  • 2 googly eyes
  • ribbon
  • tacky glue
  • hot glue gun
I used my hot glue gun to glue the 3 popsicle sticks in a triangle shape, with overhand for the ears and antlers. Then, I let M use the tacky glue to glue on the red nose. Our googly eyes were sticky, so she just peeled off the paper on the back and stuck them on. Finally, I hot glued a strip of ribbon to the back in a loop to hang on our tree.

Let it dry and you're done!


I'm sure you could fancy it up with some felt or paint, but I love him just the way he is. Plus, the glue alone was messy enough with my monster.

The Girl Creative

3 comments:

Creative Minds said...

so cute

michele said...

this brought back some sweet holiday memories from my childhood.

hope you'll find a moment to stop by and hopefully enter a giveaway i am hosting: http://www.hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/12/personalized-lovely-giveaway.html

smiles and happy weekend to you.

michele

Sian Thomas said...

These are so cute and look so nice and easy to make! Such a good idea =D
http://xrebelangelx.blogspot.co.uk/