Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Itsy Bitsy Spider + mini tute


This has got to be one of my favorite Halloween projects so far this year. Fortunately for me, I had saved some broken Walmart picture frames that were perfect for this craft. I only used a few materials that I had on hand and a big spider that I picked up in a 2 pack of large ones from Michael's for $1.

You'll Need:

  • picture frame
  • yarn
  • tape
  • spider (optional)

That's it. My picture frame was 8x10, but you can use any size frame you'd like.


To make the web, cut a piece of yarn twice as large as you need and simple wrap it around the frame and tape it to the back.  To make it more realistic, I alternated my yarn. I would wrap one around the front to the back and the next simply across the back. The very last piece you should do should be from top to bottom. I was afraid that my yarn would pull out of the tape when M touched it, so I went ahead and used my staple gun to make sure the yarn would stay in place.

From there, you cut a double strand of yarn and starting in the center, anchor the end of the yarn to the 'web' with a knot and wrap the yarn around each strand of yarn that's already in place until you make a circle. Tie it off and begin the next circle. Make it as wide as you'd like. I did 4 circles in an 8x10 frame.


That's it! I tied 2 ends of yarn to the frame to make a 'hook' that I could hang it with and I purposely hang it crooked. My spider isn't attached to the frame or web. It's simply resting on top of the yarn with some of his legs tucked in.

I originally saw this project over at Made. Dana made a giant web on her wall and cabinets (without the frame). She also made a smaller one in a frame for her front door. For a more in depth tutorial, I recommend checking her out!

1 comment:

BOWquet said...

that looks awesome!