Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Have you heard about SOPA & PIPA?

Have you heard about the SOPA & PIPA bills yet? I'm sure if you've tried to get to Google, you may have noticed they've blacked out their name and if you've tried accessing Craigslist or Wikipedia today, you'll notice that they're down for the next 24 hours. That's because they are all showing that they are against SOPA & PIPA.


What is SOPA/PIPA? Long story short, they're anti-piracy acts. If passed, this could cause a lot of issues for many bloggers and websites. If anyone claims that you've "stolen" their intellectual property (pictures, text, etc), the government will have your website shut down without any kind of proof or trial. So if you share a recipe or a joke or a story or anything from another blog and that other blog reports you, you'll be shut down within 5 days. The same goes for things on flickr or featuring an item you spotted on Etsy without the Etsy shop owner's prior permission (of course, even with their permission, if they reported you, your site would still be shut down).


If you check out Wikipedia today, you'll notice there's a little button for you to contact your local representatives. Just type in your zip code and it will bring up your Senators & Congressman. I've already went ahead and contacted the 3 in my area, letting them each know that I am strongly opposed to the passing of these bills.


How are you guys feeling about this?




3 comments:

2kutekreations said...

Nate had told me about this. This will be a big mess if it passes. It's gonna mess up internet as we know. Including selling online.

Stacie said...

I just found out about it last night. I am not liking it one bit. I think Congress is going way to far.

Creative Minds said...

This is crazy! I heard about it on the radio this morning. I hope it doesn't pass