Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dessert with Friends


Thanks to Duncan Hines for sponsoring my writing. There's no limit to the baking possibilities, so grab your favorite Duncan Hines mix and Comstock or Wilderness fruit fillings and Bake On! www.duncanhines.com.

I don't know about you guys, but one of my favorite things to do with my friends and family is enjoy a good dessert. That seems to happen more frequently around the holidays and I can't say that I'm disappointed.... even if I usually am the one bringing the desserts.


While I always tend to prefer desserts from scratch, I have to be realistic and tell you guys that I usually wind up cheating.  Between work and a 2 year old, there's very little time for any kind of real baking. That's where my good friend Duncan Hines comes in. Whether it be brownies or cakes or muffins or whatever, it's perfect for something quick and easy! And just because it comes in a box doesn't mean you have to follow the box's recipe.


When I make Duncan Hines brownies, I'm always tossing in extras like chocolate chips, nuts, candy, whatever. It's great because it's so simple! I have to say, though, that my favorite thing to do with Duncan Hines is make cakes. Why? Because all you need is a box of cake mix and a can of soda! No eggs or oil necessary. Mix them together and bake as normal. It's cheaper, healthier, lighter, sweeter and fluffier. I get compliments on it all the time! I actually figured this recipe out when I was pregnant with M and craving cupcakes all the time (ironic since I really don't care for cake).


The soda and cake mix make this cool bubbly effect

But once it's mixed, it looks like normal cake batter (and it's safe to taste test!)

And they bake normally!


Some of my favorite combinations are chocolate and diet coke, vanilla and orange soda, and strawberry with sprite and lemon frosting. I have to say that the strawberry and lemon is my absolute favorite. It's my go to any time I want to make cake just because and it's absolutely perfect for the spring or summer.


What are some of your favorite desserts to have with your friends or family? What are your favorite cupcake-icing combinations?



Remember to check out Duncan Hines' website www.duncanhines.com to find some great recipes for your holiday get-together! I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective.




2 comments:

Creative Minds said...

Triple Chunk Brownies are always a must around here. lol

BOWquet said...

I always LOVE cheating w/ Duncan Hines :)