Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mommy Advice Needed

First of all, I'm still alive. A little busy, a little brain dead, but alive. I know it's been awhile, but I sort of took a little mental health break.

I do have a question for you guys though.

What do you do when your toddler refuses to do something?

The other day J was working late, so it was just me and the little monster. I walked out into the living room and she had decided to dump her mac & cheese all over the floor. I asked her to pick it up and she told me no. I asked her again, she said no again. 

I counted to 3. No. 

I turned off the tv. No. 

I took away all of the toys in the room. No.

I put her in the time out chair. No.

I spanked her. She laughed, but No.

I put her in her room. She cried, but No.

I told her it was bedtime. She cried, but No.

Finally, I walked away. I needed a break. I went in my bedroom and she followed, crying "I'm sorry, Mommy". I asked her if she picked it up yet, no. J even called her and she cried, apologizing the whole time, but she wouldn't pick up the freaking mac & cheese. At this point, I was determined not to give in. I refused to pick it up for her. It'd been 40 minutes and I would NOT do it. Hell, I even tried to bribe her with oreos and she STILL wouldn't pick it up.

Eventually, I wound up forcing her on my lap and I forced her to pick it up and put it back in the bowl, but I really don't think she would've done it on her own.

I'm at a loss here. I ran out of options. I seriously tried EVERYTHING I could think of to try and get her to pick up the food and she just flat out refused. Please tell me I'm not alone here. What do you guys do to get your toddlers to pick up after themselves?





1 comment:

finallyMom@blogspot.com said...

this has happened with us already and Lovie's only 19 months old, but if she does something like this on purpose, i'm not about to let her get away with it. an accident is one thing but deliberatly? NO. i actually ended up doing the exact same thing as you- tried everything i could think of and then took her hands and made her pick it up. and once it was off the floor, i Thanked her (positive reinforcment??? ugh!) and exlained that's all i wanted her to do (even though i KNOW she understands). SO FRUSTRATING. i know they're just testing us by why on something like that? argh!