Saturday, July 2, 2011

Quick & Easy Holiday Cupcakes!

We were invited to a last minute bbq this weekend at my aunt's house, so I had to come up with some quick and easy to bring with us. We weren't asked to bring anything, but I hate going places empty handed. So, cupcakes it was!




These guys were so easy to make, it wasn't even funny. I originally found this idea when I was pregnant. I craved cupcakes so badly that I HAD to have them. Unfortunately, I also put on a lot of weight (think 135 pre-pregnancy to 225 post-baby. yikes).




Cupcake Ingredients
1 box of cake mix (any brand & flavor)
1 can of soda (any brand & flavor)

Icing Ingredients
1 & a half 8 oz packages of Cool Whip
1 package sugar free pudding mix (I used vanilla)
1/4 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 1/4 cup skim milk

Misc Ingredients
Strawberries
Blue Sprinkles

All you need for the cake batter is a can of soda and a box of mix. That's it. No eggs, no oil, no water. Just soda and cake mix. Dark sodas work best with dark mixes and lighter sodas work best with light mixes. I like to use diet sodas because there are 0 calories, but you can use regular soda, too. I also love mixing sodas and mixes, too. Orange soda + vanilla cake - creamsicle cupcakes! For these, I used Pillsbury Dark Chocolate mix and a diet coke.

Soda will make the batter look very frothy when poured in.
Once you've picked out your mix and soda, combine them in a bowl until smooth
THAT'S IT! 



 Bake according to the back of your cake mix box.

While your cupcakes are baking, go ahead and start slicing your strawberries. You're going to need 5 slices for each cupcake.

Once your strawberries are sliced, it's time to start with your icing.

Combine pudding mix, sugar and milk in a bowl and blend until smooth. 

 Blend in cool whip.

Chill, then ice your cupcakes. 

Top with your strawberries & sprinkles and you've got the perfect 4th of July cupcake!





1 comment:

Jenerally Speaking said...

That looks really really good!!