Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Girls for a Change


The following is a post sponsored by Yahoo! Every time someone clicks here to make Yahoo! their homepage, they're showing their support for Girls For A Change.
I was selected for this opportunity by Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.




Ever since I was a little girl, I always felt that I should try to help as many people as I could. In my mind, it was all about karma and paying it forward.

When I was in elementary school, I was in a 4H group called Clowns with a Cause where we dressed up like clowns and performed at soup kitchens, nursing homes, etc. As much as I refused to tell my friends I did this, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and felt like I was helping people. I loved going and performing and learning new "tricks". We eventually moved, but I still wanted to help out.

In Middle School, I was a part of an organization that collected money, food, etc for the less fortunate (though I forget the name of the group). In fact, me and a friend of mine actually created the group.

High School was my favorite time for helping out. I volunteered for everything that I could. I went to elementary schools and read to the different classes for Read Across America. I spent time after school helping kids through a volunteer theatre group. That was cool. My group put on Stone Soup. We helped the kids with their reading, creating the props, the staging, everything. At the end, the kids put on a show for their parents and whoever else wanted to come. It was awesome.

To this day, I still try to help out wherever I can. I search Wish Upon a Hero for wishes to grant (even if it's just sending someone a card). I donate canned goods and used clothing every time we're asked. I would love to be more involved, but I'm getting there slowly. I still strongly believe in karma and paying it forward, so when I heard about Girls For A Change and the promotion that Yahoo! is doing, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to help in another way.


About Girls for a Change
Girls For A Change (GFC) is a national organization that empowers girls to create social change. We invite young women to design, lead, fund and implement social change projects that tackle issues girls face in their own neighborhoods. GFC empowers girls for personal and social transformation. The program inspires girls to have the voice, ability and problem solving capacity to speak up, be decision makers, create visionary change and realize their full potential. Through GFC, girls develop the voice, ability and problem solving capacity to speak up, be decision makers, create visionary change and realize their full potential.

Here is an example of one of the many Girl Team Projects:
Team #5, Henderson Middle School, Richmond – Cease the Violence Against Women
The girls at Henderson are planning a rally to end violence and sexual assault against women. Their rally was held at a local community center and included guest speakers from community organizations working on the issue, information about resources available in Richmond and a self defense workshop for participants. The girls also did media outreach to local newspapers to spread the word about their event. The team believes that education and awareness about this issue will mean a safer place for women and girls.

How can you help?
Yahoo! will donate $10 to Girls For A Change for each person who clicks here to make Yahoo! your homepage by July 1… up to an amazing $10,000! We’re counting on you to help us find 1,000 people willing to make a change worth $10,000 to this fantastic cause.


Why Should You Make Yahoo! Your Homepage? It offers...
  1. Personalized content: The Yahoo! homepage delivers you the most relevant content based on your interests, time of day, and what’s most popular with other users like you.
     
  2. Your World and The World: The Yahoo! homepage uniquely brings together your world (your email, local news) with the world around you (current events, entertainment news, financial updates and more)
     
  3. Human Interest: Articles on the homepage have a human approach – more than just news, it delivers human interest stories that you just have to click on.









No comments: