Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Attempt at "Extreme" Couponing...

I don't know if you guys have seen TLC's Extreme Couponing or not. I myself have only actually watched a handful of episodes and while I think some of them definitely fit the definition of extreme, it certainly does inspire me. Some of the most inspiring couponers for me were the Ivanofsky's from My Litter and I Heart the Mart and Chrystie from I Love to Gossip. There have been 1 or 2 others that got to me, too, but I started following these blogs religiously (among others).

Anyway, I've been trying to save some money in our house lately and decided today would be a good day to test myself. I do all of our food shopping on Saturdays at Target. I like going on Saturdays for 3 reasons.

1. Since Target's sales start on Sundays, all of the blogs have posted the best deals for the week already.

2. My Target seems to throw in some of the Sunday sales on Saturday (awesome).

3. I still have a whole day left on the weekend to relax.

I gave myself a limit of $150 (we were very low on groceries this week) and I did surprisingly well, so I wanted to include a few of my best finds!

Limit: $150
Total Before Sales/Clearance: $262.51
Total Before Coupons, after sales & clearance: $219.19
Total After Coupons: $149.01
Received in Gift Cards: $20 
Mail in Rebates: $2.74

Total Saved: $136.24
Total Spent: $126.27


That's about 52% savings! I'm very proud of myself for this and I got a TON of stuff. I'm still trying to get better at the whole couponing thing, but this was definitely one of my best trips.

These were some of my best finds....


Yellow Circo Toddler Tank Top
Orig. $4.50
Sale Price: $1.12

Gerber Graduates Breakfast Buddies (2)
Orig. $2.74 ($1.37 each)
Mail in Rebate stickers on box: $2.74 ($1.37 each)
Final Price: $0.00

2 bags of Sun Chips & 2 2 liters of Sierra Mist Natural
Orig.  $11.26
Sale: Sun Chips for $3 each
Coupons: $2/2 Sun Chips, Lay's or Rold Gold (exp 5/21/11)
Buy 1 bag of Sun Chips, Get 1 Sierra Mist free (Target p&g saver coupon - used 2)
$1/2 Sierra Mist Natural (mfq on the bottle)
Final Price: $4.00 ($1 each)

 48oz Pom Juice
Orig. $12.19
Sale: $6.09
Coupon: $1/1 16oz+ Pom Juice
Final Price: $5.09

 Special K Crisps (5 boxes)
Orig. $14.95
Sale Price: $2.75 each; buy 4 get 1 free
Coupons: $1/2 boxes Special K crisps (target q - used 2)
Final Price: $9.00 ($1.80 each)

Starbucks Frappuccino 4pk (6 packs)
Orig. $32.94
Buy 2, get a $5 gift card
Coupons: $2/2 Starbucks 4 pk (used 3)
Final Price: $11.94 ($1.99 each)

 John Frieda Root Awakening (1 shampoo, 1 conditioner)
Orig. $9.98
Coupons: $3/1 Root Awakening (mfq - used 2)
$3/2 John Frieda products (target q)
Final Price: $0.98 ($0.49 each)

Morningstar Burgers (2 packs)
Orig. $6.68
Coupons: $1/2 Morningstar Products (target q)
$1/1 Morningstar Products (mfq - used 2)
Final Price: $3.68 ($1.84 each)

Old Spice Body Wash 2pks - 1 large; 1 small (bought 2)
Orig. $8.00
Sale Price: $6.80
Coupons: buy 1 Old Spice Body Wash, get 1 free (mfq - p&g saver) 
$1/2 Old Spice products (mfq - p&g saver) 
$1/1 Old Spice body wash (target q - exp 6/30 - used 2)
Final Price: $0.40 ($0.20 for each 2pk or $0.10 for each body wash)

These aren't all of my good deals, I also got 2 free packages of Carefree liners, 3 packages of free Reach dental floss (money maker; $2.50/2 Reach Flosses at $0.87 each and $1/1; I made $0.89) and a couple bottles of nail polish for $0.49 each (Sally Hansen)... among other things, but these were definitely some of my favorite finds. The Old Spice was an awesome find. I actually did this deal last week, too. I'm hoping I can find 2-4 more of the Target coupons so that I can run in and pick up a couple more tomorrow (I have 2 more of each of the mfq's but no more target).





4 comments:

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap said...

I was an extreme couponer about 5-6 years ago. Got really busy in my business and had to but back some. My best ever was a rare triple coupon day I got $527 worth of stuff and they paid me $20 to take it out. Coupons are a big rush and I wanted to say welcome to the addiction!

the site I love to use cause they do all the work none of that spreadsheet stuff they do on TLC is thegrocerygame.com saves you lots of time!

Moms Couponing Madness said...

extreme couponing makes me happy and saves me so much loot.
~ Moms Couponing Madness

Alison said...

good shopping! Target is great for store and manufacture coupons. Do you do all your grocery shopping there? just wondering. the prices are really good. I would like to get all mine done at one store. I seem to pick up stuff at every store I go in, with a coupon of course!

Kristin said...

http://www.extremesavingswithdivadesirae.com/ this blog is a really good one too. She posts EVERYTHING and takes out all the work! WOW on the Old Spice deal!