Monday, October 25, 2010

Too old for naps?

I seem to be struggling lately to get M to take a nap. Yesterday, for instance, she flat out refused to sleep even though I could clearly see that she was tired. I closed her in her room and she just played or screamed for "Mummy Daddy Mummy Daddy Mummy Daddy".
 
 
I tried EVERYTHING to get her to take a nap yesterday. We played outside. We colored. We watched tv. I gave her a snack (apple slices and a cup of water). I even laid in her bed and watched Alvin & the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel with her (which was cute by the way and I love Zachary Levi <3). Nothing.




After 2 hours of trying, I gave up and just let her roam the house. We eventually went on a walk and go figure, as soon as we walk through the door at 5:00, she falls asleep. I had gone on a Joann's run, otherwise, I would have never let it happen. But, Daddy let her sleep and I woke up up when I got home at 5:30.

And don't you know it, she refused to go to bed last night. When I finally got her down, she woke me up at 3:30 AM trying to play!! She stands at the edge of my bed and whispers in my face.

Shhhhhhh, Mommy sweeping. 
Shhhhhh, Daddy sweeping. 
Shhhhhhhh, I sweep.  
GAIK UP!!!!!!!!!!
[Gaik = Wake in toddler language]

But if I put up the baby gate or close her door, she wakes up at 3:00 and screams and incessantly until we go get her.

She's been doing this a lot lately and I just don't get it.

Does anyone else have (or has anyone had) this problem with their kids?

She better stop soon or this will end up being me:





9 comments:

lindsey said...

Dont give up on nap time! My daughter is almost 3 1/2 and still takes naps. Its wonderful. If she isn't real sleepy and somewhat pitches a fit then I just tell her she needs to have quiet time in her room for 45 minutes. She reads books or plays with her dolls. But most of the time she takes at least an hour nap.

When she pulled the "I want to play at 3am" stunt I consistantly put her back in bed and shut the door. Now this happened at least 5 times a night for a few days but she got in the habit of staying in her room and falling back to sleep.

Just make sure you make an extra potent pot of coffee the next day!

Good luck :)

BOWquet said...

awww.. I wonder if she has insomnia.. lol

Sarah Halstead said...

Dustyn still takes naps at 2 1/2. She still needs the naps. Dustyn would go through stages where it would be hard to get him to go down. It is hard. Even if he doesnt nap, I still make him stay in his room. They need that quiet time to unwind.

Stephanie said...

New follower from Mommy Blog Hop!

Love for you to visit me at http://stephanieandadambaby.blogspot.com

Good luck with the naps!!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama said...

Oh man. What a silly baby!

Hanna said...

Hi! I am your newest follower!! I found you on the Monday linky!! lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

Take a peek at my giveaways if you stop by. Everything is handmade and GORGEOUS

Hanna said...

Hi! I am your newest follower!! I found you on the Monday linky!! lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

Take a peek at my giveaways if you stop by. Everything is handmade and GORGEOUS

Shanee said...

I'm your newest follower from the Monday Blog Hops! Come check out my blog at: http://adventuresofathriftymommy.blogspot.com/

Have a great day!

raven said...

Hi

I hope my little ones will continue taking naps all the way up to preschool. Right now they are one and take about 2 naps a day.

Im your newest follower.

http://pacifierspumpstheworld.com/