Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Toddler + Cold Weather = ?

With fall and winter fast approaching, I've been looking into things that we can do with the Princess this year that is relatively cheap. She's a big fan of the playground and slides, but when the weather turns cold, we aren't going to be able to take her much. There isn't much space in our small apartment, so I've been wondering....

What do you do with your toddler in the cold weather?

The museums around us are expensive. We have a season pass to the zoo, but we won't be able to do that in the snow. The aquarium is nearly $30 for 1 adult. There's 1 indoor playground that's decent, but it's a 25 minute drive and even then, we can't afford $7 every day to take her there. She still has school, but they won't be going outside in the snow & rain either.

I wish we had an extra room in our apartment that I could make a little indoor playground for her, but we just don't have any extra space. So I've been considering getting rid of her dresser (I could put her clothes in her closet) and getting a little slide for her room. Just something small, like this....


In case you haven't seen her room, it's not tiny, but it's not huge. It currently looks something like this...

The white bookshelves are now hanging horizontal on the wall and there is a multi-colored one in it's place on the floor
I LOVE the shelf on the wall. All the things I don't want her to reach yet go up there
We recently replaced her crib with a new toddler bed and the stickers on the wall moved. The activity table to the left of the crib was replaced with her Elmo chair & a circular table & chair set.

So as you can see, there isn't much space in the room. The middle of her floor is pretty open, but I like to leave her some room to run around in. I'd love to re-do her room all together. Right now, the only thing we can get rid of to make more space is her dresser (since we still use the changing table). But to get rid of her dresser, we're going to need to clean out her closet (which is a small walk in), but our apartment lacks storage space, so we're going to need to figure out where to put everything.

What do you think? Would you get rid of your child's dresser and replace it with a slide? What else do you think I could do to revamp the Monster's room for a little bit of extra space, storage and fall/winter play?


2 comments:

BOWquet said...

I feel so lost w/ baby's rooms.. lol I just rearranged S's room yesterday and feel like I waste space... So I have no clue. My advice is to rearrange the room a few times until you like the way it is. :)

Pavei Photos said...

I can't help you on revamping small spaces...b/c our apt it the epitome of SMALL. but here in Brazil it's winter and has been PRETTY cold for the last 2-3 months..and we have done alot of baking and crafts. She loves to help stir and pour in flour (not that it ever makes it into the bowl). We invite friends over to help roll and frost sugar cookies. (I have a 2 yr old and a 6 month) Just a few ideas..hope that helps!