Friday, July 2, 2010

Let me ask you a question...

Is it totally lame to go to the movies by yourself?

I, personally, have never gone to a movie theatre by myself before. My brother has, but I haven't. I always felt like it was totally awkward to go alone. Why? I don't know. You sit in the dark and you silently (or not so silently) watch a movie on a big screen. When it's over, you get up and leave. It's not like you sit there and talk to the person you went with the whole time (ok, some people do and it's very annoying). So why is it weird to go to the movies by yourself?

Today, I'm going to my first movie alone. I've debated this all week and I've decided that I definitely want to go. I purchased my ticket on Fandango (mostly because I'm embarrassed about what I'm going to go see, but also because I don't want the ticket people to know I'm there alone). And I am incredibly nervous about going by myself. AND I DON'T KNOW WHY. I would have loved to have gone with Jesse, but he's working today and he doesn't feel comfortable hiring a babysitter... or asking family to babysit. So my only other option is to either wait until we both have a week day off & M is at school (never) or go see it alone. I opted for the latter.

I guess I'm just nervous about how people will perceive me. I've always thought of people who went to movies alone as people who have no friends, but now I'm starting to think - maybe some of them are parents and they don't want someone else to watch their kids, so they go alone.

What about you guys? Have you ever gone to the movies alone? Or do you think it's totally lame?



7 comments:

Julie said...

Hi, stopping by from NFF! Hope you have a great holiday weekend!

mle said...

Enjoy your movie! happy 4th! NFF

Sippy Cup Mom said...

I never have but totally would! I almost had to until I found someone to go to Eclipse with me!

Danielle @ "We Don't Have It All Together" said...

NO it's NOT totally lame to go by yourself!! My hubby does it. I always have tooo many kids here to leave & sometimes he wants to get out of the house. I would, but I'm not a movie person.

Oh & I gave you an award!http://wedonthaveitalltogether.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-awards.html

Congrats & Have A Great Weekend :)

Tanja said...

I have never been to the movies by myself, but I have been to some concerts alone (because I couldn't find anyone to go with me) and I thought it was going to be really awkward, but those were the best concerts of my life. So I think one day I'll go to the movies by myself too. It's not as lame as it sounds, lol.

WildHeather said...

My husband hates going to the movies. All my friends live far away: therefore, I go to the movies by myself if there is something I want to see and don't want to wait until video. (ie Avatar) I love it!

Cakeblast said...

I usually consider moviegoing an experience best shared with someone. Still, there have been a few times I have gone by myself, usually when I am out and need to kill time between two appointments or something of that nature.

Everyone is worried about how they are being perceived by their friends/dates/other moviegoers. Most people are too narcissistic to even notice you. The only way they will judge you you is if you stand up and applaud at the end of the film.. and that would just be funny.