I love how cute they look! I think they're going to look great on the boys and I can't wait to see pictures of them in their new shirts!
How did I make these??? Easy! First, I headed over to Crap I've Made and downloaded her tie applique pattern. This size was perfect for the onesie! For the larger one, I just made the tie bigger (I think I added about a 1/2 inch to all sides).
My mistake with the onesie was not attaching it there first. With the shirt, I smartened up and picked up some fusible tape. I placed it on the shirt where I wanted the tie to go, put the tie pieces on top and ironed it together! This made the sewing process MUCH easier.
Next, I used my sewing machine to make 3 rounds on straight stitches around the entire tie (including the part where the 'knot' attaches to the tie portion). Then I went ahead with an interlocking stitch (you could also use your serger) and went over top of the stitches. These babies will not be coming apart any time soon. You could make your stitches on the edge of the applique, but I chose to do it inside a bit. This way, as it washes, the edges will get this great frayed look!
And that's it, all done!