Monday, April 19, 2010

White Wine, Lemon & Mushroom Chicken

J isn't really a big fan of chicken. In fact, he refuses to eat most chicken (or turkey or any other bird for that matter) especially if it's on the bone. In the last few months, I've taken to making new things for dinners and making him try them. Maybe that makes me a mean person, but I no longer trust when he tells me he doesn't like something. Why? He used to tell me all the time that he hates pot roast. One day we went to his mother's for 'steak' dinner and what was it POT ROAST! Now I make him try different foods because he can't possibly hate everything he says he does... and usually I'm right.

Natasha over at Samster Mommy posted a delicious looking recipe about a week ago for White Wine, Lemon & Mushroom Chicken that I absolutely had to try. It came out perfectly! I forgot to take pictures, but here's what hers looked like (borrowed from her blog):


Instead of asparagus, I made some steamed mixed veggies and instead of gnocci, I served scalloped potatoes. I also skipped the flour and butter that Natasha called for, so my sauce wasn't very thick. Here is how I made mine, with my changes (if you'd like to see the original recipe, please follow the link I posted earlier).

1 package fresh chicken breast, sliced into thin strips (I sliced my breasts in half and then into 1" strips)
1/2c - 1c dry white wine (I used Yellow Tail - Pinot Grigio)
1 package of sliced mushrooms (I got the big pack - we eat a lot of mushrooms)
1tsp garlic powder
1 fresh lemon, zested & squeezed
TIP: To get my lemon zest, I used a parring knife and scraped the yellow off the lemon peel (washed well) into a bowl.

1. Using the oil of your choice (I used vegetable because it's what I had on hand, Natasha used Olive), put a tiny dollop (about 1-2tsp) in your frying pan. Heat up on med-high. Add some lemon zest, salt and pepper to the bottom of your pan (or rub your chicken with it), place the chicken strips in the pan and top with lemon zest, salt & pepper. Cook about 4-5 minutes per side.
2. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add mushrooms and garlic to pan (and more oil, if needed. I used a non-stick pan, so I didn't need any) and saute for about 5 minutes (or until mushrooms are golden brown).
3. Add 1/2c white wine and your lemon juice to the mushrooms. Return chicken to the pan and cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked (I cooked mine for about an extra 10-15 minutes, but if you cooked your chicken more in step 1, this time could be less). Add more wine, if desired.
4. Enjoy!

The mushrooms came out so flavorful. I don't even like mushrooms, but these were excellent. And J even said he loved the chicken and that he'd eat it again!

1 comment:

Tiffany @ Lattes And Life said...

My husband was the SAME WAY when we got together. He always said he didn't like things, but then I'd learn he'd never even tried them!!! Now, after me doing exactly what you're doing...he eats just about anything. And he eats MUCH more healthy foods. So keep at it!!!