Tuesday, March 2, 2010

School Stuff... Check

The Little Monster is starting to transition into the pre-toddler class at her school this week - Monday was her first day (she only goes MWF right now). Very exciting! Her teachers and the school supervisor all say she had a great day. The Monster spent 3 hours in the pre-toddler class and the rest of the day in the infant room. She does have a few friends (can 13 month old's have friends?) in the older room... namely a little girl named Kaitlyn. The mini me LOVES Kaitlyn. They yell at each other, pinch each other, play with cars together.... they thoroughly enjoy each other's company.

Anyway, as I mentioned last week, I needed to make her a nap mat and lunch box for school. It was a weekend of long, hard work, but they're finished! Now I just need to make her some sandwich and snack bags, since her school keeps throwing away our ziploc bags.


The lunch box is from a pattern by Ginia18. The pattern was very easy to follow. I did mess up the hand strap and ended up just sewing it inside the bag, but that was my fault for not double-checking the instructions. You can't really tell though, so I'm happy with it.

I also added a tag inside with my daughter's name so that they wouldn't write on it in sharpie, like they tend to do with her clothing. I added it to the lining before I added the lining to the main portion of the bag.


I also messed up the pocket a little bit, but it's really more of a visual thing than functional for my daughter, so I'm ok with that.


All in all, I'm really pleased with the way the lunch box came out. The pattern was simple to follow, the only thing I found with the pattern was that I needed a bit more interfacing than was called for, but I got exactly what it said rather than a little extra. Again, my fault. I also used fusible batting instead of regular quilter's batting. I think when I make this again, I will only use the interfacing for the pocket and handle and I'll use the fusible batting again. I found that with the batting, I didn't really need the interfacing.

I will definitely be making more of these in the near future. The bag is big enough to hold 1 gerber pasta, 1 large juice box, an applesauce, a fruit cup, a waffle in a baggie, a baggie of cheerios, a gerber cereal bar, and a gerber yogurt with a little room to spare. The only thing it didn't hold was her 2 cups of milk and 1 cup of water. I want to make her a second one so that I can differentiate for her teachers - 1 bag for her morning snack and breakfast and 1 bag for her afternoon snack and lunch. So I need to make her 1 more and then I'd like to make Jesse and I each one, so that if we ever go to the zoo, etc, we'll each have our own!

I'll share pictures of the nap mat next time.

3 comments:

BOWquet said...

SO cute!!!! :)

2kutekreations said...

that is so pretty. Good job!!!

BusyBee67 said...

Great job! Looks great. <3